A Few Thoughts on the Current Medicare Fight
“We are Democrats because we promote and defend Medicare.” Rep. Steve Israel (D New York)
Hey, that’s great! But I have to say, that’s a pretty narrow definition of what it means to be a Democrat.
Wouldn’t it have been nice if he had added a few more principles such as
- We are Democrats because we promote and defend quality public education.
- We are Democrats because we promote economic justice.
- We are Democrats because we promote the right to meaningful work at a living wage.
- We are Democrats because we promote a woman’s right to choose.
- We are Democrats because we promote universal health care.
- We are Democrats because we promote peace (tough one).
Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that Democrats have managed to grow a backbone in their defense of Medicare. Of course, it helps that Paul Ryan prematurely set the self-destruct button on his party. Regardless, the Democrats look like they are in fighting trim for the first time since
I only wish that Democrats could come out swinging at the bell on all issues valued by the left
not to mention all common people.
For instance, I find it interesting, if not a little ironic, that at the outset of the health care debate “single payer” was taken off the table as being too divisive and not politically viable. Yet now Democrats are united in their defense of Medicare a single payer health system with near universal political appeal.